Chicken in Coconut Milk
This is a popular twist to the Filipino recipe of adobo. Chicken is stewed in vinegar and creamy coconut milk, then spiced with chili pepper, making for a delectable home cooked meal. Ang sarap!
Ingredients (Maghanda Muna)
2 lbs. chicken parts (legs, thighs)
1/2 head of garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed peppercorns
1/2 c. vinegar
2 T. vegetable oil
2 c. thick coconut milk
2 – 5 pcs. green finger chilies
Let’s Get Cookin’! (Luto Na!)
1. Combine vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper.
2. Add chicken and let chicken marinate in vinegar mixture for at least 1 hour (overnight recommended).
3. Remove chicken from marinade. Set aside marinade.
4. Heat oil in pan and add chicken. Sauté until chicken is brown on all sides.
5. Add marinade and coconut milk. Simmer about 20 minutes, until chicken is tender.
6. Add green chilies and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes.
7. Serve hot with rice.