Sweet Milk Custard
Leche Flan is one of the all-time favorite Filipino recipes. It is similar to crème brulee, but instead of a hard caramel top, Leche Flan is crowned with a luscious layer of soft caramel. This irresistible dessert is almost a meal in itself: rich, filling, and simply divine. Wow, ang sarap!
Ingredients (Maghanda Muna)
1/2 c. white sugar
1 12.5 oz. can evaporated milk
1 10 oz. can condensed milk
Let’s Get Cookin’! (Luto Na!)
1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, and let melt. Let sugar caramelize until it is golden brown.
2. Pour caramelized sugar into a 9-inch oval pan. Let cool.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
4. Add the evaporated milk and condensed milk. Blend well.
5. Pour egg mixture into caramelized oval pan. Cover tightly with foil.
6. Place oval pan in a larger pan half-filled with water (water should reach halfway up the oval pan).
7. Bake or steam for 1 hour until custard is firm.
8. Cool before removing from mold.
9. Turn flan upside down onto a serving platter.